For businesses in Hollywood that embrace green principles, there are several options available to obtain recognition for their efforts.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants
The Surfrider Foundation is offering their Ocean Friendly Restaurant Certification to any restaurant meeting the criteria. Ocean Friendly restaurants reduce solid waste produced and the use of single use non-biodegradable products. By reducing the use of these items, restaurants reduce the potential that these items end up as marine debris - plastic in the oceans that poses a physical hazard or be ingested by marine life.
Businesses participating MUST follow these FOUR criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene (aka Styrofoam) used onsite or to-go. (However, it’s important to note that § ordinance 124.07 (16) actually prohibits ALL plastic non-biodegradable materials for dine in at Hollywood Beach Broadwalk businesses for seating on the Broadwalk, and § ordinance 97.05 (A), although not currently enforceable, demonstrate’s the City’s intention of eliminating non-biodegradable materials from use on the beach.)
- Only reusable tableware is used onsite for onsite dining. Utensils for to-go food are only provided upon request.
- Proper recycling practices are strictly followed throughout the restaurant.
- No plastic bags offered for take-out or to-go orders. Paper, bagasse or other biodegradable fibers can be used.
AND they MUST choose a minimum of THREE of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a “Best Choice” or “Good Alternative” as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting or Energy Star appliances in combination with compliance to sea turtle season (May 1-Oct 1) beach lighting requirements.
*** Implement all 10 of these criteria to be recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant! ***
Florida Green Lodging Program
The Florida Green Lodging program is a voluntary initiative of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) that disignates and recognizes lodging facilities that make a commitment to conserve and protect Florida's natural resources. Designated facilities must implement environmental practives in five areas of sustainable operations:
- Communication and Education (Customers, Employees, Public)
- Waste Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Energy Efficiency
- Indoor Air Quality