Enjoying Water Sports on Hollywood Beach
The Hollywood Beach Safety Division is registered as an Advanced Lifesaving Agency with the United States Lifesaving Association. It is only 1 of 2 Advanced Agencies in Broward County. The Beach Safety Division guards 4.5 miles of public beach and protects an estimated 7 million beach visitors annually. Beach Safety operates 365 days a year, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. October through April and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. April through October.
The primary function of the Beach Safety Division is to protect the public by minimizing hazards and risks associated with recreational water use. The Division applies best practices and recognized safety standards to maximize public safety, minimize risk and perform due diligence in protecting the public from harm.
|City||Length of Beach||Lifeguard Towers||Guarded beach||Unguarded Beach||Beach Visitors in 2018|
|Miami Beach||7.5. miles||36 lifeguard towers||6 miles||1.5 miles||15.7M|
|Fort Lauderdale||6 miles||20 lifeguard towers||3 miles||3 miles||3.7M|
|Hollywood||4.5 miles||28 lifeguard towers||4.5 miles||2 miles||7.2M|
- The areas for surfing have expanded.
- Surfing is allowed from Douglas Street north to the Dania Beach/Hollywood border.
- Surfing is also allowed from Madison Street south to Eucalyptus Terrace.
- Surfing may be allowed in other areas of the beach during the right conditions and low bather load. The area will be marked with a black flag. Please refer to the closet lifeguard.
- Please wear a leash for safety.
- Kite boarding is allowed at the Meade Street launching area.
- Kite boarding is allowed Monday through Friday, holidays excepted.
- Surf fishing is permitted after 6:00 p.m. and before 9:00 a.m.
- Areas of the beach may be opened for fishing if the conditions allow. Please refer to the closest lifeguard.
- Paddlecraft (stand-up paddleboards, kayaks, canoes) are allowed to utilize the entire length of the the municipal beach before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.
- Paddlecraft are allowed at all hours south of Madison Street and north of Liberty Street.
- In the area south of Liberty Street and north of Madison Street, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., paddlecraft must remain 100 yards from shore.
- Please carry a personal flotation device and a signaling device when going off-shore.
Rent a Paddleboard on Hollywood Beach
Paddleboarding has experienced a surge in popularity in recent years. The family-friendly activity is easy for anyone of any skill level to enjoy. Exploring Hollywood via paddleboard is no longer just for those with their own equipment. The City is pleased to announce a new partnership with “PADL,” a paddleboard equipment rental operation that offers hourly rentals and monthly memberships.
Self-service “PADL” kiosks available for public use on Hollywood Beach.
PADL rental kiosks locations on Hollywood Beach include:
- Liberty Street in the North Beach area
- Keating Park, 2500 S. Ocean Drive in the South Beach area
- COMING SOON: Charnow Park, 300 Connecticut Street in the Central Beach area
PADL Rental Fees are as follows:
- $19 per hour for non-members
- $24.99 monthly membership or $99.99 for a 6 month membership
- Members receive 2 hours free every day. Additional hours and boards are $10 per hour
As a Reminder: Paddlecraft Hours of Operation on Hollywood Beach
- Paddlecraft are allowed to utilize the entire length of the the municipal beach before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.
- Paddlecraft are allowed at all hours south of Madison Street (The Keating Park kiosk is located south of Madison Street)
- Paddlecraft are allowed at all hours north of Liberty Street.(The New Hampshire Street kiosk is located north of Liberty Street)
- In the Central Beach area, south of Liberty Street and north of Madison Street, paddlecraft must remain 100 yards from shore during the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (The kiosk at Charnow Park is set to comply with the rules set forth in City Ordinance 99.02.)
With a swipe of the App, the board and paddle with personal flotation device are released and off you go on your adventure. The IOS + Android Mobile App also provides a map of PADL locations across the state, links to meetup groups, tour and lesson booking, shopping and more. There are currently 23+ PADL locations throughout Florida with plans to expand to 50 locations this year. To learn more, visit the PADL website