Home Rehabilitation & Repair
The Housing Rehabilitation Loan is secured by a mortgage and promissory note prepared by the City. The terms of the mortgage and note are as follows:
- A deferred payment loan for thirty 30 years, unless the home is sold, rented, ceases to be the primary residence of the homeowner, or is transferred or conveyed by any other means.
- Zero (0) percent interest.
The debt is payable in full on the maturity date set forth in the Mortgage that is thirty years from the date of the signing of the Promissory Note and Mortgage. However, thirty (30) days prior to the maturity date, the mortgagee (City) shall offer the mortgagor (homeowner) a refinancing option with the same terms and conditions, so long as mortgagor has not defaulted on any terms or conditions set forth in the Mortgage.
An appropriate community development objective is to offer assistance to low and moderate income households to improve their housing to the minimum property standards, assist with structural and system repairs and provide housing replacement loans. This assistance serves a public purpose by improving the quality and stability of Hollywood’s neighborhoods and its tax base.
Applicant(s) must meet the City's income eligibility requirements as established by the federal and/or state guidelines as follows:
|| MAXIMUM GROSS INCOME
All Loan Program Applicants must participate in a pre-qualification review which includes the submission of all documents necessary to participate in the program.
- Applicant(s) shall not be anticipating nor involved in any bankruptcy or foreclosure action during any stage of the process.
- Applicant(s) shall be a United States Citizen or legal resident, eligible to receive federal assistance as defined in Title 8 of the U.S.C. and 24 CFR Section 570.613, the owner and occupant of the property and must comply with all program terms and conditions including but not limited to rent restrictions.
- Applicant(s) with debt-to-income ratio in excess of 50% will be required to attend a budget analysis session with a HUD Certified Agency that provides credit and budget counseling prior to closing.
- Applicant(s) must be current on all secured mortgage(s), all applicable insurance policies and real estate taxes at the time of application.
- Applicant(s) residing in condominiums are eligible.
- Mobile Homes and Co-operatives are not eligible properties
- The property in need of repair must be located within the corporate limits of the City of Hollywood.
- Eligible properties must have been granted Homestead Exemption from the Broward County Property Appraiser's Office or the owner has applied for Homestead Exemption prior to applying for any financial assistance.
- The property must conform to City of Hollywood’s Zoning and Land Development Regulations regarding the use and density permitted.
- The maximum loan amount per household for eligible repair items shall not exceed $55,000.00 unless the repairs are for: (a) correcting existing property standard violations which are set forth in Chapter 157, Hollywood Code of Ordinances as well as Federal Minimum Housing Quality Standards set forth in 24 CFR Part 982; or (b) curing an overcrowding condition in which case the loan shall not exceed 50.9% of the assessed value of the property. The maximum loan amount shall be based upon the aggregated total of all outstanding City of Hollywood housing loans for the subject property. Additionally, the maximum loan amount is subject to applicable permitting regulations and may be less than $55,000, depending upon the elevation of subject property.
- The post rehabilitation value shall be the sum of 110% of the Just Market Value plus 25% of the rehabilitation cost. Just Market Value is established by the Broward County Property Appraiser's Office and is adjusted annually to reflect the recorded selling prices.
- If required by the Florida Building Code, all non-conforming and unpermitted improvements to primary structures must be removed or made to conform to current codes.
- Any unpermitted additions must be removed as per program and the program does not provide additional living space, except to correct a verified overcrowding condition.
- If any allowable repair item is deemed to constitute a condition of imminent threat to the public health, safety or welfare to the occupant or property, as determined by the City’s Chief Building Official, the project will be prioritized and will supersede existing rehabilitation projects/applications.
- Applicable insurance policies must be current at the time of application and maintained throughout the life of the loan. If insurance policies are not maintained, the City has the option to either force place insurance or to notify the borrower that they are in default of the mortgage on the property and to pursue any and all legal remedies to collect on the mortgage and/or Promissory Note.
- Eligible Repairs.
1. First Call for HELP (dial 211): a 24/7 Social Service Hotline
2. Home touch Program (serves citizens over 60 years old with minor
home repairs) at 954.792.1180.
3. If you like information regarding housing counseling, please go to HUD.gov
or call HUD at 1.800.569.4287
Should you have any questions regarding the Home Rehabilitation & Repair program, please contact Barbara Lawson at 954.924.2952 or by email. You may also contact our main number at 954.921.3271.