News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/9/2017 8:22:01 AM to 9/11/2017 11:25:21 AM.

News Flash

City News Updates

Posted on: September 9, 2017

[ARCHIVED] Hurricane Irma Fire Safety Information

generator safety information

Deadly dangers can exist after a natural disaster knocks out power or causes flooding. Here is some important safety information to keep in mind from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.


• Never use a portable generator indoors - including garages, basements, crawlspaces and sheds - even with ventilation. Exhaust fumes contain extremely high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) that can rapidly become deadly if inhaled.

• Only use a portable generator outdoors in a dry area away from doors, windows and vents that can allow CO to come indoors. Wait for the rain to pass before using a generator. Consumer-grade generators are not weatherproof and can pose the risk of electrocution and shock when used in wet conditions.

• If using a generator, plug individual appliances into heavy duty, outdoor-rated extension cords and plug the cords into the generator.

• Check that the extension cords have a wire gauge adequate for the appliance loads and have all three prongs, including a grounding pin.

• Never store gasoline in the home or near a fuel-burning appliance, such as a natural gas water heater, where gasoline fumes could be ignited.

• Never use charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal in an enclosed space can produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide.

• Make sure the batteries in your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm are working.

• Do not use electric or gas appliances that have been wet or damaged because of the hazards of electric shock, fire, or explosion.

• Exercise caution when using candles. Use flashlights instead. If you must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish candles when you leave the room.


Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email