Seen Being Green
In honor of Earth Day, The City of Hollywood’s Public Works Department in partnership with the City Manager’s Office and in coordination with the City’s Commission are launching the Seen, Being Green Award Program this April.
From April 1-20, 2017, selected City of Hollywood staff will be giving awards to residents actively seen practicing waste reduction and recycling practices. Go through your daily life doing positive actions that reduce waste such as installing compost bins or properly recycling your electronics and you could be Seen, Being Green! Either get caught doing well by our recycling or environmental coordinators or report yourself via social media!
If we see you, then will issue you a certificate honoring your commitment to our City’s environment and give you information about where to redeem your certificate for cool eco-friendly prizes such as gift cards, a smart power strip, and native Florida plants.
Haven’t been seen? No worries! You can self-report your waste reduction or recycling action. Just upload a photo of yourself or the action to social media and you will be entered in a drawing for cool prizes! Make sure to tag the post with #SeenBeingGreen! Ten prizes will be given to those caught by staff and ten prizes for those reporting online. You get one entry per post made using the hashtag! (One prize per person).
1. Use of reusable bags/containers/ bottles
2. Installing and using home compost bins
3. Proper disposal of household hazardous waste
4. Choosing products with less packaging
5. Picking up litter
6. Using public recycle bins correctly
7. Declining straws/plastic cutlery/napkins
8. Creative reuse of items (i.e. tire swing, old containers as planters – all attractive and within code)
9. Help organize business or condo recycling program
10. Using City of Hollywood recycling bins correctly
11. Participating in Cash for Trash Program
12. Participating in Hollywood Beach Sweep Program
13. Participating in the Adopt-a-Street Program
14. Using recycled paint from Operation Paintbrush program
15. Using biodegradable take-out containers
16. Offering discounts/perks for customers to use reusable containers (bags, mugs, etc)
17. Providing disposable products only upon request
19. Separating recyclables at source