How Do I?
Go To Search

Helpful Hints
Things You Can Do to Avoid Receiving a Code Violation

Buildings and Structures
Maintain the exterior to avoid blighting influences on neighboring properties. Surfaces requiring painting shall be kept painted and evidence of weathering, such as mildew, must be removed. Multiple exterior colors may not be used except to accent architectural features. Check the following areas of your property for deficiencies and repair as necessary.

  • Exterior walls
  • Roof
  • Fascia, soffit and trim
  • Doors
  • Windows and screens
  • Fences, walls and sheds

Maintenance of Yards and Vacant Land
Grass in excess of eight (8) inches is prohibited. Yards should be mowed regularly, including vacant land. Edge the perimeter of the property, including the sidewalk.

Live vegetative material shall provide complete coverage of the entire yard area exposed to public view. A violation exists if more than 1/3 of the yard area that is exposed to public view is deficient.

Maintenance of the public right-of-way, including the swale, sidewalk and curb, is the responsibility of the abutting property owner. The swale should be maintained with live vegetative material such as grass or plantings. Asphalt, gravel or dirt is not permitted. Cracked sidewalks and broken curbs should be repaired.

Dead trees and limbs must be removed from the property. Removal of some types of tree requires a permit from the Office of Planning.

Commingled Material
Customers may place out for disposal up to four (4) cubic yards of hard junk and yard waste per month. Material shall not be placed out until the weekend prior to scheduled pick-up for that area. Properties with a service alley must place the material in the rear for pick-up. Call WastePro at 954.967.4200 to have material picked up.

Garbage Receptacles
Garbage receptacles must be stored in the side or rear yard, except when placed out for scheduled pick-up.

Off-street Parking
All off-street parking spaces shall be paved with asphalt, concrete or pavers and maintained in a good state of repair. Gravel driveways in existence prior to 1989 shall not be precluded, as long as public right-of-way is maintained free from loose gravel.

All vehicles parked or stored on private property must be maintained in movable condition with all tires inflated. Vehicles must not be supported with jacks or blocks.

Parking on the lawn is not permitted. All vehicles, including boats and RV's, must be parked on a hard, improved surface. Boats and RV's must be parked in the side or rear yard, where accessible, and must be screened from the view of adjacent properties by a fence or hedge. A boat or RV not exceeding 25 feet in length may be parked on the front driveway, if the rear is not accessible. Only one boat, RV or trailer per property is permitted. Special-purpose vehicles such as race cars, swamp buggies and the like must be stored in a wholly enclosed garage.

Outdoor Storage
Outdoor storage of hard junk is not permitted. Hard junk includes appliances, vehicle parts, wood, scrap metal and the like. Items should be stored inside a wholly enclosed structure or disposed of properly.

Commercial Vehicles in Residential Areas
Commercial vehicles may be parked in a residential district when engaged in business contracted by the property owner. Type B commercial vehicle may be stored in a residential area only in the side or rear yard and screened from the view of adjacent properties. An example of a Type B commercial vehicle is a pick-up or van with less than 25 square feet of advertising.

A Type A commercial vehicle may only be stored in a residential area inside of a wholly enclosed garage. Examples of a Type A commercial vehicle are taxis, tow trucks, limousines or those with more than 25 square feet of advertising.

Residential Rentals
Residential rental property, including single family homes, requires payment of applicable Business Tax of the Treasury Division at 954.921.3225.

Home-based Businesses
Allowable home-based businesses must pay Business Taxes to the Treasury Division at 954.921.3225.

Use of the Public Right-of-Way (swale)
Use of the public right-of-way for business is prohibited. Vehicles may be parked temporarily on the swale for a period not to exceed 24 hours. All vehicles must display a valid license tag and must be in movable condition with all tires inflated.

Most construction requires a permit; however, there are exceptions for some installations and minor repairs done by the property owner. Contact the Department of Planning and Development Services at 954.921.3471 for additional information.

How Code Enforcement services Are Provided
Code Enforcement officers are assigned to zones. Most of our activity (95%) is initiated by officers during routine patrol of their zone. Officers also investigate complaints that are reported by telephone, email or regular mail.

What to Do if You Receive a Code Violation
The notice will cite the code section violated and will state the time allowed for compliance. The length of time given generally depends on the nature of the violation and the measures necessary to implement corrective action. If you do not understand the nature of the violation or if you need additional time to comply, contact the officer who issued the notice. Our objective is compliance; reasonable requests for extensions are generally granted.

You may also receive a letter regarding the violation; however, not all violations require a follow-up letter. Failure to comply may result in the case being referred to the contractor for correction with assessment of the appropriate fee. Garbage and commingled violations are corrected by the Public Works Department with a penalty fee. Additionally, cases may be scheduled for adjudication by the Special Magistrate. The Magistrate can assess a fine for continued noncompliance. An unpaid fine generally results in a lien on the property.