Helpful Hints

Things You Can Do to Avoid Receiving a Code Violation

Buildings and Structures

Maintain the exterior of your property to avoid bringing down property values in your neighborhood. Keep surfaces painted and clean. Be sure to remove evidence of weathering, such as mildew. Multiple exterior colors may not be used except to accent architectural features. Check the following areas of your property for deficiencies and make the necessary repairs in a timely fashion.

Exterior walls


Fascia, soffit and trim


Windows and screens

Fences, walls and sheds

Maintenance of Yards and Vacant Land

Grass higher than eight (8) inches is prohibited. Yards should be mowed regularly, including vacant land and the perimeter of the property, including the sidewalks, should be edged.

Grass shall completely cover the entire yard that is within public view. A violation exists if more than 1/3 of the yard exposed to public view is deficient.

Maintenance of the public right-of-way including the swale, sidewalk and curb, is the responsibility of the abutting property owner. The swale should be maintained with live vegetative material such as grass or plantings. Asphalt, gravel or dirt is not permitted in a swale. Necessary sidewalk repairs are the responsibility of the abutting property owner who may be eligible for the shared cost 50/50 Sidewalk Program. Please refer to City Ordinance Chapter 155.0

Dead trees and limbs must be removed from the property. Removal of trees requires a permit from Engineering Services. Only specific species of trees may be planted in swales. Please refer to City Ordinance Chapter 106.26

Bulk Waste

Bulk Waste will be collected once per month as specified in the collection schedule map on the City’s website. Bulk waste material shall be no more than 6 cubic yards. No yard waste is allowed to be mixed with bulk waste.

Yard Waste

Yard waste is grass clippings, leaves, miscellaneous garden trash, shrubbery cuttings, palm fronds or tree limbs. You are allowed to dispose of 4 cubic yards per week. If you have a landscaper it is required by code that they take and dispose of the material. They are not covered under your residential fee structure.

Garbage Receptacles

Garbage carts must be stored out of public view, including alley properties, except when placed out for scheduled pick-up. Receptacles which remain out after sunset are subject to a fine.

Off-street Parking

All off-street parking spaces shall be paved with asphalt, concrete or pavers and maintained in a good state of repair. Gravel driveways in existence prior to 1989 shall not be precluded, as long as public right-of-way is maintained free from loose gravel.

All vehicles parked or stored on private property must be maintained in movable condition with all tires inflated. Vehicles must not be supported with jacks or blocks.

Parking on the lawn is not permitted. All vehicles, including boats and RV's, must be parked on a hard, improved surface. Boats and RV's must be parked in the side or rear yard, where accessible, and must be screened from the view of adjacent properties by a fence or hedge. A boat or RV not exceeding 25 feet in length may be parked on the front driveway, if the rear is not accessible. Only one boat, RV or trailer per property is permitted. Special-purpose vehicles such as race cars, swamp buggies and the like must be stored in a wholly enclosed garage.

Outdoor Storage

Outdoor storage of hard junk is not permitted. Hard junk includes appliances, vehicle parts, wood, scrap metal, etc. Items should be stored inside a wholly enclosed structure or disposed of properly.

Commercial Vehicles in Residential Areas

Commercial vehicles may be parked in a residential district when engaged in business contracted by the property owner. Type B commercial vehicle may be stored in a residential area only in the side or rear yard and screened from the view of adjacent properties. An example of a Type B commercial vehicle is a pick-up or van with less than 25 square feet of advertising.

A Type A commercial vehicle may only be stored in a residential area inside of a wholly enclosed garage. Examples of a Type A commercial vehicle are taxis, tow trucks, limousines or those with more than 25 square feet of advertising.

Residential Rentals

Residential rental property, including single family homes, requires payment of applicable Business Tax of the Treasury Division at 954.921.3225.

Home-based Businesses

Allowable home-based businesses must obtain a Business License and pay Business Taxes to the Treasury Division at 954.921.3225.

Use of the Public Right-of-Way (swale)

Use of the public right-of-way for business is prohibited. Vehicles may be parked temporarily on the swale for a period not to exceed 24 hours. All vehicles must display a valid license tag and must be in movable condition with all tires inflated.


Most construction requires a permit; however, there are exceptions for some installations and minor repairs done by the property owner. Contact Planning at 954.921.3471 for additional information.

How Code Compliance Services Are Provided

Code Compliance officers are assigned to zones. Most of our activity (95%) is initiated by officers during routine patrol of their zone. Officers also investigate complaints that are reported by telephone, email or regular mail.

What to Do if You Receive a Code Violation

Citations will have the code section that was violated and will state the time allowed for compliance. The length of time given generally depends on the nature of the violation and the measures necessary to make corrective actions. If you do not understand the nature of the violation or if you need additional time to comply, contact the officer who issued the notice. The objective is compliance; reasonable requests for extensions are generally granted.

You may also receive a letter regarding the violation; however, not all violations require a follow-up letter. Failure to comply may result in the case being referred to a City contractor for correction with assessment of the appropriate fee. Garbage and commingled violations are corrected by the Public Works Department with a penalty fee assessed. Additionally, cases may be scheduled for adjudication by the Special Magistrate. The Magistrate can assess a fine for continued noncompliance. An unpaid fine generally results in a lien on the property. Work performed by City contractors to correct violations which are unpaid becomes a property tax lien which has to be paid in order to transfer the sale of the property.